Make your gut healthy with top-rated probiotic foods
There are two broad categories of bacteria, healthy and unhealthy bacteria. The unhealthy bacteria breed inside your body and cause diseases such as flu, stomach infections, typhoid, cholera, and son. The can get in your food, drinking water and can infect the air around you. On the other hand, there is another group of bacteria is quite beneficial for your health. This healthy group of bacteria is present in your body, specifically in the intestinal region. This group of healthy bacteria is known as probiotics.
For good health, it is necessary to have more of good bacteria than bad bacteria in the body. The lack of probiotics and even an insufficient proportion of probiotics in the body can lead skin problems, digestive problems, weight gain, urinary and vaginal tract problems and so on. A healthy balance of good and bad bacteria can be maintained by consuming top-rated probiotic products.
Here are a few things you should know before opting for top-rated probiotic food in your diet.
What are the health benefits of eating probiotic-based diet?
- Consuming top-rated probiotic products will cause the number of healthy bacteria will exceed the number of bad bacteria.
- The immune system will become stronger.
- Probiotic-based diet helps in fighting skin conditions, infections, and diseases related to the gut.
- They help to improve the health of the digestive system, promote health of the health, and help to keep stress under control and affect mood as well
What are live cultures?
- Live cultures are microorganisms, but without any health benefits on their own.
- Live cultures can be bacterial and sometimes, they can be beneficial yeast as well.
- Live cultures are used to make probiotic-based food. Only after they undergo the process of fermentation, live cultures acquire health benefits.
- It has to be noted that not all types of live cultures are beneficial for human health.
What are the different types of healthy bacteria that are beneficial for humans?
- Lactobacillus – Found in yogurt and other fermented food, this is a common type of probiotic that you will find. The strains of this bacteria provide relief from diarrhea and help to digest sugar especially those who are lactose intolerant.
- Saccharomyces boulardii – This is a type of yeast commonly found in most of the top-rated probiotics. It helps giving relief from digestive problems and diarrhea.
- Bifidobacterium – Commonly found in probiotic-based dairy products, this bacterium helps to fight irritable bowel syndrome and its symptoms.
How are probiotics different from prebiotics?
- Probiotics are healthy bacteria, while prebiotics are carbohydrates that the human body cannot digest. Food items such as asparagus, oatmeal, bananas, legumes are good sources of prebiotics.
- Prebiotics are food for the probiotics. They are food items that are not digested by the digestive system and go to the intestine in their original form. The good bacteria feed on these and multiply. Prebiotics and probiotics together keep the gut healthy.
What are some of the popular probiotic foods you can make at home?
- Yogurt – Live cultured yogurt or Greek yogurt is very rich in good bacteria and can be easily made at home. Yogurt that is made of sheep or goat’s milk and is organic is considered as the top-rated probiotics product.
- Sauerkraut – This is one of the simplest and top-rated probiotics that can be made at home. Made of fermented cabbage mixed with kosher salt, sauerkraut is a savory accompaniment to meals. It can be added to sandwiches and salads and used a pickle substitute as well.
- Kombucha – This is one of the oldest top-rated probiotics beverage. Made from fermented tea, it has antioxidants and vitamins along with probiotics. Kombucha is made by mixing green, oolong or black tea with organics sugar cane and live culture. It has sweet and fizzy flavor.