Everything you need to know about hearing aids
Our sensory organs allow us to sense the best of everything the world has to provide to us. However, an impairment of any of the five sensory organs can disrupt our perception of the surrounding. Being hearing-impaired or visually-impaired can lend a blow to our self-esteem, and if the people around us don’t support us, life becomes difficult. However, the advanced technology has bestowed us with the good fortune to deal with such situations. When one is hearing-impaired, the one thing that helps them lead a normal life is hearing aids. Many of us know hearing aids as the device which helps people with hearing-impairment to communicate normally.
What are hearing aids?
- A hearing is a small device that people with hearing-impairment use. They either wear it in or behind the ear.
- It works by amplifying the sound so that the individual with hearing-impairment can listen to the sound and communicate accordingly.
- There are three parts to a hearing aid, a microphone, the amplifier, and speaker. The hearing aid receives sound through the microphone and sends it to the amplifier in the form of a signal. These signals are amplified and sent into the ear through the speaker.
What are the different types of hearing aids?
Hearing aids aren’t just one of a kind; there are different kinds of hearing aids to suit the needs of different individuals. They are as follows-
- Invisible-in-The-Canal (IIC) – As the name suggests, this type of hearing aid is completely invisible since it is inserted deeply into the ear canal. Since hygiene is quite important to avoid ear infections, one can definitely remove and clean it every day.
- Completely-In-Canal (CIC) – This kind of hearing aid fits the ear canal perfectly. Only the small handle for removing the hearing aid can be seen. This hearing aid is meant for people who have mild to severe hearing loss.
- In-The-Canal (ITC) – These hearing aids are custom-made to fit into the ear completely. Similar to the CIC, this hearing aid too can be inserted into the ear canal with a tiny handle which will allow you to pull it out for hygiene purposes.
- In-The-Ear (ITE) – This kind of hearing aid is designed to fit into the outer portion of the ears. This one fits right into the ear cavity, and in comparison to the earlier ones, this hearing aid can be seen clearly. This type of hearing aid is useful for people with mild to severe hearing loss.
- Behind-The-Ear (BTE) – This type of hearing aid has its technology located in a casing that is worn behind the ear. It adheres to the usual hearing aids mechanism with a microphone, amplifier, and speaker, and serves its purpose beautifully.
- Receiver-In-Canal (RIC) – The RIC hearing aid is similar to the invisible hearing aids. No one can make out whether the person is wearing a hearing aid or not. In this type of hearing aid, the receiver or the speaker is placed directly into the ear canal to facilitate proper hearing.
Which are the best hearing aid companies?
Hearing aids are quite expensive and what makes it more expensive is the fact that Medicare does not cover it, and the insurance cover is also quite negligible. So, if you wish to buy affordable and reliable hearing aids, these are the companies which you can opt for.
Where to buy the right hearing aid from?
- You can buy the right hearing aid online from different websites. But, to ensure that you land up with the right hearing aid, it is imperative that you check the specifications of the hearing aid before placing your order.
- You can also purchase the right hearing aid from a store near you. And the same conditions apply while choosing the hearing aid from the store as well. Ensure that you check the return policy before buying.