Everything you need to know about buying and maintaining wood floors
A wood floor brings a cozy appearance to your personal space. Its warm colors can complement any interior design. So, whether you’re a minimalist or a collector, wood floors can instantly blend well with your personality. Interestingly, homes with hardwood floors have a higher sale or resale value. This effectively communicates the timeless charm of the good old wood. If you are planning to install wood floors in your home, here are some things you should know of that can help you make a final decision.
Why should you install wood floors in your personal space?
- Cleaning wood floors is comparatively easier, as they don’t accumulate or trap dirt the way a carpet does. Daily and weekly dusting is enough for keeping the floor fresh.
- Wood floors are evergreen as they introduce an inviting vibe and luxurious appearance. Besides, they effortlessly blend with all kinds of colors and designs.
- High-quality wood floors can withstand several seasons. This means that you don’t have to bother your wallet for a long time, making it a lucrative investment.
- For people who are sensitive to dust or pollen, wood floors can be a great choice as it doesn’t facilitate a breeding ground for allergens, thus ensuring an excellent internal air quality.
- You can find a variety of wood species that differ in shades, feel, and sturdiness. This gives you an opportunity to customize your choices, no matter how unique they are.
How to clean wood floors?
Cleaning wood floors is essential for ensuring the longevity of their quality as well as aesthetics. Initially, the whole process can come across as confusing, but if done with the right attitude, tools, and approach, it could do wonders for the ambiance of the house. To help you out here are some tips for cleaning wood floors.
- Basic cleaning – Make it point to dust or sweep your wood floors every day. Instead of using a regular broom, get a microfiber mop or cloth. Such type of fabric will effectively, and at the same time, gently remove all the grime on the floor.
- Weekly cleaning – Your everyday dusting might not cover the sections of the home which are harder to reach. This could be corners or areas under the bed or couches. Therefore, cleaning wood floors on a weekly basis is a must! You can use a vacuum which can reach the tricky parts of the house.
- Periodic cleaning – You could deep clean and polish your wood floors so that they remain new as ever. Although, ensure that you only use special or manufacturer-recommended products when cleaning wood floors. Ordinary cleaning or polishing solvents might damage your floor, so avoid unnecessary experimentation.
To reduce dirt around the house, place mats or rugs at the entrance of the house. These can help trap a lot of dirt and minimize your cleaning efforts.
Which are the best wood species for flooring?
- American Cherry
- Patagonian Rosewood
- Brazilian Ebony
- Red Cumaru
The wood species mentioned above vary in their solidity. For instance, the Patagonian Rosewood is sturdier than Ash. You should make an appropriate pick based on budget and durability expectations. Although hardwood is expensive, it can be ideal for households that have kids or pets.
Which are the top brands selling wood floors?
- The Woods Company
- Lumber Liquidators House Brands
How to buy the best wood floors?
- Firstly, analyze your personal needs before shortlisting types and brands. For instance, if you’re a couple without kids, then you should pick something like American Cherry rather than Brazilian Ebony which is a hardwood variant. This because your home will have less movement on the floor. However, if you have a large family, you must then consider the latter to prolong the floor’s lifespan.
- After you pick your wood species, start looking out for top manufacturers who offer the best deals and prices. Remember to look out for their installation options and warranty.